This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Ocean Spray®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Recently, I posted 7 Healthy Habits That Will Change Your Life. You didn’t think I was going to leave you hanging without more tips, did you? Of course not! I want you to be successful so I’m going to share how I’m preparing for my work week. It’s Sunday afternoon and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to show you what I’m doing to create a lighter version of one my favorite things, cole slaw. I’m also incorporating cranberries because they add great flavor and have additional health benefits. Cranberries are an all-natural bacteria blocker and they are high in antioxidants.
It’s easy to increase your fruit consumption with cranberries and if you haven’t tried the Craisins® Dried Cranberries, you definitely should. They are great for snacking and you can use them in salads, toppers for hot and cold cereals, additions to rice and sauces, in baking, and the list goes on. Ocean Spray has made it even easier to incorporate more cranberries into your diet by offering a large variety of recipes on their website.
The recipe I want to share with you is a modified recipe for cole slaw that’s very simple to make. This slaw has sweet apples and crunchy cabbage with a tangy low calorie dressing and a super health boost from Craisins® Dried Cranberries. It’s a terrific side salad to enjoy with grilled meats, perfect for picnics, and a delicious filling for a healthy wrap.
Whether you are an experienced cook or not, you can make this recipe and it’s fast and easy. It will last for several days in the refrigerator and tastes even better on the second or third day.
Light Cranberry Apple Slaw
– Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 8 ounce bag cole slaw mix
- 1/2 cup Craisins® Dried Cranberries
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 apple peeled and sliced thin (use Granny Smith if you prefer a tart apple)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
Whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the coleslaw mix, chopped mint, apples, and dried cranberries. Toss well and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
In a hurry like I always am? You can also throw everything into a big bowl and toss it well. Best results can be expected if you blend the dressing first. Enjoy and check out my additional tips below for more variations and information about this recipe.
- USDA MyPlate guidelines indicate that eating ½-cup of Craisins® Dried Cranberries is the equivalent of adding one cup of fruit to your diet (plus I’ve added apples to the recipe as well!) Another bonus that comes with the addition of Craisins® Dried Cranberries is they are naturally cholesterol-free and are a good source of fiber.
- For some added iron and protein, add a few ounces of chicken to this cole slaw recipe. To keep it simple, try a rotisserie chicken that is already prepared at your local grocery market. It makes a great addition to this salad.
- When you want to change things up, make a low fat wrap! No utensils needed which make it another perfect choice to enjoy at the office.
Do you have any favorite recipes that use Craisins® Dried Cranberries? I’ll be traveling later this week and I will take on the plane for a snack. There are so many ways to add this super food into your diet! Please share your ideas and be on the lookout for a few more recipes I will share soon!
Be sure to visit Ocean Spray on their social media channels! There is a lot of great information about cranberries and health and emerging research about additional benefits that are believed to come from the consumption of cranberries. This is the year to make changes so start small and let’s add some healthy cranberries to your diet! It’s amazing to think that making such a change contributes to the overall health of people around the world by fighting antibiotic resistance, a very serious issue!
- Facebook: @oceanspray https://www.facebook.com/oceanspray
- Instagram: @oceansprayinc https://www.instagram.com/oceansprayinc/
- Twitter: @oceansprayinc https://twitter.com/oceansprayinc
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/OceanSpray/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/oceanspray