Those who try Clé de Peau Beauté concealer, instantly fall in love with it. Is it really that great? I’ve wondered. Clé de Peau Beauté has an impeccable reputation and I decided it was time for me to try their famous concealer. Could it be better than my holy grail NARS Radiant Creamy concealer? I’ve never come across a product that could possibly complete with my NARS concealer.
Clé de Peau Beauté concealer has won major awards. One of the recent ones being In Style 2016 Best Beauty Buys. It has won Best Concealer in previous years as well. The In Style award are great to look through. But still… is it better than NARS (and they won In Style Best Beauty for 2017)? And for those of you who jumped on the Shape Tape bandwagon, better than Tarte? Both NARS and Tarte make a fantastic concealer and for me NARS pulls ahead between the two. However, after testing the Clé de Peau Beauté concealer, it performed better than my NARS product. All those awards Clé de Peau Beauté has received over the years are truly deserved! But be sure to read the section below on relevant variables that may affect your experience with this product.
I didn’t think I would like the product and that’s why I put off trying it for years. It wasn’t the price. Although, the Clé de Peau Beauté concealer is the most expensive concealer I’ve purchased at $70 US for 0.17 ounces of product. There’s magic in this concealer stick, trust me people. There are no affiliate links here and I purchased this product from Nordstrom’s. There are plenty of things that don’t work for me and I don’t hesitate to say so but this is not one of them!
The Clé de Peau Beauté concealer comes in 6 shades. Hopefully, we will see more as I know there is a demand for darker shades. I searched for swatches on line before purchasing the product. I found the best swatches on The Beauty Look Book which were photographed indoors and outdoors. I was immediately able to determine Almond would be the perfect shade for me.
This concealer is a stick formula and comes in a twist up tube. It is recommended to apply the concealer to your finger and then use your finger to pat the product under the eyes. A brush can be used to feather the concealer into the corner of the eye. Applying the concealer directly from the stick would use too much product (trust me, I know this). Very little is needed and blending the concealer out with a finger provides the perfect finish. The product melts into the skin and brightens the under eye area providing excellent coverage that looks completely natural. This concealer mellows out redness on other areas of the face and leaves the under eye area looking glowy. If you have really dark circles under your eyes, a color corrector would need to be applied before using this product (or any concealer for that matter if you want the best results).
I was very skeptical when I initially felt the texture of the Clé de Peau Beauté concealer. I thought it felt dry on my finger but it’s not drying and it blends out perfectly on the skin. The creamy, emulsion base allows the formula to absorb in a way a fluid concealer does not. The formula contains Super Bio-Hyaluronic Acid which creates smooth, supple skin by helping to keep the skin hydrated and healthy looking. For puffiness, there is green tea extract in the formula and this soothes and de-puffs the under eye area. On the days I’ve worn this concealer, my skin looks better at the end of the day when I take my makeup off. I know I’m not imaging this! I’m pretty something magical is happening!
A few relevant variables to mention!
Skin care / Skin type and how makeup is applied can have a profound difference on whether or not a product performs the same way. A blogging friend of mine also liked this product and you can read her review here. Her experience was good as well, but different than mine. This prompted me to share some details about how I use the product and my skin type so you can decide if this is something you want to invest in. OK, here we go!
- I set my concealer with Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder (I believe this extends the wear of the product)
- I let my setting powder it bake for 10 minutes and then brush it away
- I use a full coverage liquid or cream foundation. Currently using Lancome Teint Idol Ultra 24 hour or Laura Mercier Silk Creme. I do apply a thin layer of foundation under my eyes before using the concealer.
- My skin is normal to dry. Oily skin may affect how this product performs but I think the consistency of the product would be a good option for oily skin
- I use a good moisturizer under the product, currently I am using this, and I use IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores primer
- Due to needing extra coverage (and this is moderate covering product) I always use a color corrector. I’m alternating between Lancome and Make Up For Ever and use a deep peach tone to cancel the under eye darkness.
- For mature skin or skin that is starting to show early signs of aging, this product is wonderful because of the consistency and it doesn’t require a heavy application and won’t settle into fine lines. For those of you with smoother under eye skin, I think you could get great performance from many products (less expensive ones). For those of you fighting with Mother Nature and you feel like options are dwindling, this is a product you should definitely appreciate.
I am a believer in the power of this concealer! But it’s not going to be the perfect solution for everyone. It’s definitely worth a try and if you don’t like it, return it! This is almost always an option in the US but other countries may not offer the same flexibility. Just some things to keep in mind!
Have you tried this product or any other products from Clé de Peau Beauté? What are your thoughts?